If you are traveling with many passengers, which includes a vast number of children and adults on Amtrak. The ratio of infants and adults is unusually higher, and you are stuck on the reservation rules for this dream travel. Then, you can refer to the guide below; it covers everything on the booking result for different ages on Amtrak.
Do Kids Need ID to Travel on Amtrak?
- The passengers considered the fare-paying passengers are Adults, youth, and children. The “Infants” traveling alongside are not considered the fare-paying passengers.
- Eight passengers on one transaction.
- You can only make reservations for only eight passengers on one transaction. However, there are only a few exceptions in which you can ignore the “no more than eight passengers on a transaction” policy. Those exceptional cases are mentioned below;
- When any passenger is an “infant.”
- When you comply with the ratio rules of Amtrak, as described later in the article.
Adult-to-Child Fare Ratio Rule
For the Amtrak travel booking, if you book one child for every adult passenger in the reservation, you are entitled to 50% off the actual adult fare. Every child, exceeding that 1:1 ratio must travel at the original adult fare. (Infants are not counted as the children for the adult-child ratio.)
The following are the ratios done by Amtrak for their wishful passengers.
- 1 Adult + 1 Child: The child will travel at 50% off the actual fare.
- 1 Adult + 1 Child: Amtrak doesn’t comply with two children traveling with an adult. You must otherwise categorize one of the children in the category of an adult for booking the online reservation.
- 2 Adults + 2 children: Both the children will travel at 50% off the fare. At maximum, two children can travel at a discount for children with two adults alongside.
- 2 Adults + 3 children: As per the second example, this is not accepted by Amtrak. In this case, at least one of the children needs to be categorized as an adult so that the remaining children are entitled the travel at 50 % off from the actual fare.
- 3 Adult + 3 Children: As per the Amtrak policy, you will receive 50 % off on all scheduled fares for all three children.
- 5 Adults + 5 children: The adult-child ratio is not being exceeded in this case, but five adults and five children will make ten passengers, and it is not allowed as per the policy of Amtrak.
Adult-to-Infant Fare Ratio Rule
Infants, for sure, are fare-free passengers and can travel free of cost with adults. But, if the infants exceed the 1:1 ratio, then one of them would need to travel as children. Also, the infants are not eligible for a seat for themselves when traveling. The rest of the ratios for Adult - Infant rule are as mentioned below;
- 1 Infant + 1 Adult - The infant can travel for free on the adult’s lap.
- 1 Adult + 2 Infants - One infant can travel for free on an adult’s lap. The other infant must be categorized as a child or adult to travel with Amtrak.
- 2 Adults + 2 infants - The infants travel for free as they are not exceeding the 1:1 adult-infant ratio.
- 8 Adults + 8 infants - The infants can all travel for free as they comply with the policy of Adult -to -infants and infants are not considered official passengers by Amtrak, and eight passengers can travel on one transaction.
All Rules Applied Together
The rules applied together are the combination of varied passengers. The combination comprises adults, children, and infants. The ratios are as mentioned below;
- 1 Adult + 1 Child + 1 infant: This is the most acceptable ratio combination. In this ratio, the full fare would be for the adult, then the child will travel at 50 % off from the original scheduled fare, and the infant will travel for free.
- 2 Adults + 2 Children + 2 Infants: This is also an acceptable combination. This ratio combination says that the infant will travel for free, the children will travel at 50 % off the fare, and the adult will have to make the complete payment for their fare.
- 3 Adults + 3 Children + 2 Infants: Each child will travel at 50 % off their fare. The adults will travel at the full fare of the travel, and the infants can ride for free.
- 2 Adults + 3 Children + 3 Infants: You can book for this reservation, but you need to re-categorize the passengers as it violates all rules applied together by Amtrak.
- Note: The children will travel at a 50% discount if they ride with Amtrak as per the policies of Amtrak. However, this policy is subjected to exceptions and limitations.
What is Amtrak unaccompanied minor policy?
Suppose you are planning a trip to your favorite destination with your kids. Then you can prefer traveling with Amtrak railways. It is one of the safest railway lines which travels within the United States and nine cities in Canada. Read about the safety policy for minors in Amtrak umnr policy on this page, and then plan your travel with Amtrak Umnr railways.
Four Age Ranges :
The passengers traveling on Amtrak are categorized as done below;
- Adult - Passengers who are 16 + years of age.
- Youth - Travelers who are 13 - 15 years of age.
- Child - Travelers who are 2 - 12 years of age.
- Infant - Passengers who are younger than two years of age.
Discount Information for Children
- Children from the age of 2-12 are provided with a discount of 50% on the lowest available fare for adults. Children above 12 years will fall in the adult category and are supposed to buy a full ticket.
Infants Ride Free
- When traveling with an infant, you are not supposed to purchase a ticket for them.
- If one child is an infant and the other is between 2-12 years, then the infant child can travel for free, and for the other child, you can avail 50% discount.
- A child traveling alone is not eligible for a children’s discount
- A passenger under 12 years of age should travel with an adult.
- One cannot avail of the discount for more than two children while booking the ticket
- Infants can travel for free but will not get a separate seat.
- Children under the age of 12 years cannot travel unaccompanied. They should travel with someone who is at least 18+.
- An unaccompanied minor cannot make a reservation with Amtrak.
- Children of age 13 and 14 can travel unaccompanied, but they are supposed to fall under certain terms and conditions.
- In exceptional cases, when a 17 or 18 years person is a parent to a child of any age, they can bring the kids, but they will have to show the proof of being a parent.
- However, passengers between the ages of 13, 14, and 15 can’t travel alone, but as per the Amtrak unaccompanied minor policy, you can call them personally and book a flight with them.
So above information will guide regarding traveling for an unaccompanied minor on Amtrak. which not only make the journey safer but memorable one
- How do I call Delta Airlines Bradley International Airport?
- How do I change my BA flight online?
- How do I call American Airlines Dallas airport phone number?
- How do I call Delta Airlines Minneapolis airport phone number?
- How do I dial to contact Delta Airlines Dulles Airport Number?
- How can I get a cheap Delta tickets from Los Angeles LAX to Sydney SYD?
- How do I get a live person at Lufthansa?
- How Much Does a Travel Agent Cost?
- How to Skip Delta Hold Time?
- How do I talk to an Emirates customer service?